ICT and the UN Sustainable Development Goals
• Deadline: June 30, 2017
• Notification to the authors: September 30, 2017
• Camera ready paper: October 31, 2017
• Publication of the special issue: end of November, 2017
• Brynjarsdottir, H., Håkansson, M., Pierce, J., Baumer, E., DiSalvo, C., & Sengers, P. (2012). Sustainably unpersuaded: how persuasion narrows our vision of sustainability. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 947-956). ACM.
• Eriksson, E., Pargman, D., Bates, O., Normark, M., Gulliksen, J., Anneroth, M., & Berndtsson, J. (2016). HCI and UN's Sustainable Development Goals: Responsibilities, Barriers and Opportunities. In Proceedings of the 9th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (p. 140). ACM.
• Knowles, B., Blair, L., Walker, S., Coulton, P., Thomas, L., & Mullagh, L. (2014). Patterns of persuasion for sustainability. In Proceedings of the 2014 conference on Designing interactive systems (pp. 1035-1044). ACM.
• Raworth, K. (2012). A safe and just space for humanity: can we live within the doughnut. Oxfam Policy and Practice: Climate Change and Resilience, 8(1), 1-26.
• Silberman, M., Nathan, L., Knowles, B., Bendor, R., Clear, A., Håkansson, M., Dillahunt, T. & Mankoff, J. (2014). Next steps for sustainable HCI. interactions, 21(5), 66-69.
• Steffen, W., Richardson, K., Rockström, J., Cornell, S.E., Fetzer, I., Bennett, E.M., Biggs, R., Carpenter, S.R., de Vries, W., and de Wit, C.A., et. al. (2015). Planetary boundaries: Guiding human development on a changing planet. Science, 347(6223), 1259855.
Topics of Interest
We particularly welcome contributions that not only describe a particular study and relates it to the SDGs but that also critically engages with the relationship between ICT and the SDGs. We welcome contributions from (but not limited to) HCI, interaction design, design, STS and ICTD. For further questions, please contact the editors.
Topics may include but are not limited to:
• ICT solutions that engages one or more SDGs
• Work that critically discusses important topics not covered by the SDGs
• The Interconnectedness of the SDGs in relation to ICT
• Bridging global goals (SDGs) in terms of scaling and operationalizing them to make them possible/easier to address
• The challenge of working with long-term goal in the context of ICT which emphasizes speed and results
• On possible tension and contradiction between different SDGs
• The connection between socio-technical systems and the SDGs
• Methods for monitoring progress in reaching the SDGs (for example utilising Big Data)
All submissions (abstracts and later final manuscripts) must be original and may not be under review by another publication.
The manuscripts should be submitted anonymized either in .doc or in .rtf format.
All papers will be blindly peer-reviewed by at least two reviewers. Perspective participants are invited to submit a 8-20 pages paper (including authors' information, abstract, all tables, figures, references, etc.).
The paper should be written according to the IxD&A authors' guidelines .
Submission page -> link
(when submitting the paper please choose Domain Subjects under: 'IxD&A special issue on: ICT and the SDGs')
For scientific advices and for any query please contact the guest-editors: